Continuity through Change
1883 Carl Schubert and Bruno Salzer begin manufacturing hosiery knitting machines in Chemnitz.
1885 The Königliche Geschützgießerei (Royal Ordnance Foundry) and Königliche Hauptlaboratorium (Royal Principal Laboratory) begin operations in Ingolstadt.
1887 Carl Schubert and Bruno Salzer acquire a 4,880 square metre site in Chemnitz on which they construct a factory for the manufacture of hosiery knitting machines.
1889 The company founded by Carl Schubert and Bruno Salzer becomes Chemnitzer Wirkmaschinenfabrik AG.
1904 Chemnitzer Wirkmaschinenfabrik AG is renamed Schubert & Salzer Maschinenfabrik AG. Also bicycles and cash registers are being produced.
1920 The Königliche Hauptlaboratorium and the Königliche Geschützgießerei are incorporated into Deutsche Werke AG. Production is converted to civilian articles such as castings and stack fittings, then also to spinning machines.
1925 Deutsche Werke AG is renamed Deutsche Spinnereimaschinenbau AG (DESPAG), based in Ingolstadt.
1938 Schubert & Salzer Maschinenfabrik AG in Chemnitz acquires a majority share holding in DESPAG in Ingolstadt. After the Second World War the head office is relocated from Chemnitz to Ingolstadt.
1952 Schubert & Salzer Maschinenfabrik AG becomes the second German business producing investment castings.
1987 Rieter AG, Winterthur, acquires a majority share holding in Schubert & Salzer Maschinenfabrik AG.
1991 Dr. Arnold Kawlath acquires the Schubert & Salzer castings and fittings businesses. A holding company, Schubert & Salzer GmbH, now controls the Schubert & Salzer Group, comprising:
- Schubert & Salzer Eisenguss GmbH [iron casting]
- Schubert & Salzer Feinguss GmbH [investment casting]
- Schubert & Salzer Ingolstadt-Armaturen GmbH [fittings]
- Schubert & Salzer Control Systems GmbH
The spinning machine business Schubert & Salzer Maschinenfabrik AG is renamed Rieter Ingolstadt Spinnereimaschinenbau AG. The name Schubert & Salzer remains for the castings and fittings businesses.
The Schubert & Salzer Group acquires the nodular cast iron foundry of GISAG AG in Leipzig.
The Schubert & Salzer Group acquires investment casting company Feingusswerk Lobenstein GmbH in Thuringia.
1992 The factory premises of the iron foundry in Leipzig are being completely modernised. This involves investments of about 75 million Euros in state-of-the-art technical equipment like in a brand new Heinrich-Wagner-Sinto moulding-plant.
1994 The second-oldest iron foundry in Germany, Eisenwerk Erla GmbH in Saxony, founded in 1330, is acquired.
Schubert & Salzer GmbH and Schubert & Salzer Control Systems GmbH establish their joint subsidiary Schubert & Salzer UK Ltd.
1995 The Schubert & Salzer large iron castings foundry in Leipzig is sold to Georg Fischer AG, Schaffhausen.
At the same time, the Erla foundry is reconstructed and the remaining foundry operations are relocated from Ingolstadt to Erla.
1996 The company gives up all its leased buildings in Ingolstadt and moves into a new company-owned facility at 38 Bunsenstrasse.
1997 Establishment of Schubert & Salzer France SARL, a subsidiary of Schubert & Salzer Control Systems GmbH.
1998 Schubert & Salzer GmbH establishes its subsidiary Schubert & Salzer Data GmbH.
Schubert & Salzer Ingolstadt-Armaturen GmbH is sold to British company DELTA.
1999 Schubert & Salzer Control Systems GmbH establishes its subsidiary Schubert & Salzer Inc., USA.
2004 The Schubert & Salzer Group becomes an entirely family-owned business.
2007 Schubert & Salzer Eisenwerk Erla GmbH is sold to the Indian Sanmar Group.
Establishment of Schubert & Salzer Benelux BVBA/SPRL.
2011 Schubert & Salzer Control Systems GmbH opens a Liaison Office in Mumbai, India.